There are certain foods that are not safe for your pet to eat.
- Onions and Garlic. In large doses onions and garlic can cause anaemia by damaging your pets RBCs.
- Chocolate: contains a stimulant theobromine that can cause a racing heart (tachyarrythmias), tremors and overstimulation.
- Cooked bones: Cooked bones are much more likely to cause impaction and constipation, and also more likely to create sharp shards that can lead to cuts in your pets bowel and a reluctance for them to go the toilet.
- Marrow bones: Marrow is 80% Fat, and too much fat can lead to a bout of pancreatitis. Never get a Marrow bone cut in half as eating that much fat in one sitting will more than likely lead to a bout of Pancreatitis.
- Macadamia nuts: The whole nut can cause bowel obstructions, so it is best to avoid your pet chewing on entire nuts. The kernel can lead to severe muscle cramping and pain. For some pets it takes as little as 5 kernels to cause this syndrome.
- Grapes and Sultanas: Can lead to kidney failure, especially in dogs. One small packet of kids sultanas can lead to death in a labrador!
- Fat: avoid overly fat foods, especially around barbeques. It is easy to forget the size of your pet, and a small amount of fat to us, can actually be quite a lot for your pet.
- Avocado: contains a toxin that can affect your Pets heart. Horses and chickens can die from ingesting it. It can also affect dogs.
Information Sheet Category:
Is this a Featured Information page?: