Fleas are typically are a very annoying problem for you and your pet. They can also be carriers of worms, like the Tapeworm. In our area fleas breed all year round, although they tend to be a little slower through winter. An adult flea can lay 2000 eggs in its lifetime. You can now see why your environment can quickly become overloaded with fleas. About 95% of the flea problem then remains OFF your pet. Without good environmental control measures or consistent treatment, you will never get rid of the fleas.
The most common complaint we hear is that the flea control products don't work. Sometimes this can be the case and switching products may give you great success. However, most of the time, there is a HUGE environmental burden, and we are expecting a product to kill all the fleas on our pet, and the environment. Unfortunately if it was as easy as putting a flea control product on our pet once or twice a year, we would have been rid of fleas along time ago.
- monthly application for life
- some products can be used fortnightly if necessary
- do NOT wash the dog from 2 days before and until 2 days after the treatment, if using topical product
- You must also try and control the environmental burden
- This means cleaning all bedding and vacuuming your entire house and especially any of your pets favourite spots. Unhatched eggs can remain dormant for long periods of time, hidden away under lounges or in low traffic areas. Make sure you get these areas too.
- Sometimes you will need to get professional help to help clean up the environment. Make sure you always follow the directions given to you by the Pest control People, and not let your family and especially your pets, back into these areas until they tell you its safe to.